McLean Youth Track and Field is an all-volunteer organization that provides opportunities for Northern Virginia kids ages 5 through 8th grade (13/14) to develop skills competing in track, field, and cross-country running. Our aim is to help our kids develop a love for running, the respect of sportsmanship, and an appreciation for the sport. We focus on "house" events and encourage all of our athletes to strive for personal improvement.
Just a quick reminder for those who are still waiting on other extracurricular schedules to come in: MYTF registration closes THIS Sunday, 8/31. There are currently about 30 spaces remaining, so if you haven't signed up for the Fall season yet, please do so as soon as possible! There will be NO late registration after 8/31; there are simply too many things to prepare before the first Meet on 9/7, so be sure to register by Sunday, 8/31!!
Also, if you have already registered but need to withdraw for any reason, please remember that withdrawal requests must ALSO be in by August 31st in order to receive a refund of registration fees. Withdrawal requests may, of course, be made at any time throughout the season, but they will only be eligible for refunds if received by Sunday evening!
Hello everyone! Below we have detailed as best we can all the information pertinent to the Fall 2014 season's registration:
1. We will definitely be opening registration TOMORROW morning, Saturday, August 2nd, beginning at 9:00 am.PLEASE NOTE: the system will not go live until 9:00 am. What that means is that if you go to the website prior to 9:00 am, you will NOT see the "Registration" button; it will only appear at 9:00 am, so please either wait until 9:00 am to navigate to the site, or refresh your browser at or after 9:00 am. The "Registration" button will show up on the lefthand column menu. Once it's live, click on the Registration button and follow the prompts (it's pretty self-explanatory). If you haven't previously registered with a McLean Youth Athletics sport that uses the League Athletics site, you will need to set up an account, but that only takes a minute to do. While we don't typically fill up in the Fall the way we do in the Spring, there's a first time for everything, so please register early!
Registration Fees & Payment: After numerous years at the same rate, we have finally raised our fees *slightly* for the Fall 2014 season, due to the increasing costs associated with operating the program. The new fee structure this year is $45 for the first child; $35 for the second child (sibling); and $25 for each subsequent sibling. Please note that payment of registration fees is conducted ONLINE through the system; you *are* able to complete registration without payment, but if payment hasn't been made within a few days of registering, you will be notified by email and asked to either complete the payment process or forfeit the space in the program. This becomes especially important if we fill up all 225 spaces, although that typically happens more in the Spring season than in the Fall.
Registration Close & Late Registration: Registration will close on Sunday, August 31st. This allows us to prepare for the first Meet - which is a pretty big job with many moving parts; it is truly very complex to add children after this point, so unfortunately we WILL decline late registrations after the rosters have been set.
Withdrawals and Refunds: We understand - schedules are being juggled, children change their minds, etc. - and sometimes, you need to un-register. We do our best to accommodate these requests, but it is a manual process and there are some limitations. You may of course withdraw your child from the program at any time by notifying us at
, but PLEASE NOTE: refunds will only be issued for withdrawal requests made PRIOR TO the closing of registration, NOT the first Meet. (<--PLEASE NOTE THIS CHANGE AS OF THE SPRING 2014 SEASON!!!). This is due to the complexity of developing the roster, the ordering of supplies for the season, and attempting to be fair and accommodate as many waitlist participants as possible prior to the season beginning. If your child participates in the first Meet and decide it's just not the sport for him or her, we CANNOT issue a refund, pro-rated or otherwise.
On a related note, we also do NOT issue partial refunds for canceled Meets or practices. We try to build in an extra week to the season for rescheduling a Meet, but beyond that, there is little we can do. The season cost is already fairly minimal, and processing 200 partial refunds would be virtually impossible for us to accomplish. Generally, most sports in the McLean Youth Athletics program do not issue refunds under any circumstances, so we appreciate your consideration for the flexibility we do try to provide in MYTF.
2. We have confirmed that Track Meets will be at 3:00 pm on Sunday at McLean High School, beginning with an Orientation Meet on Sunday, September 7th. And although we're still awaiting permit approval for our Cross-Country Meets, we expect those will also be held on Sundays, beginning at 2:00 pmat Clarks Crossing park in Vienna. So, with the exception of the Track Meet location (McLean instead of Langley) and the exchange of one Cross-Country Meet for a Track Meet, this is essentially the same Fall schedule we typically observe. The expected, draft schedule is as follows, but PLEASE know that this is still subject to modification:
- 9/7: Orientation Meet - 3:00 pm at McLean High School (details forthcoming closer to the date)
- 9/14: Track Meet - 3:00 pm, MHS
- 9/21: Cross-Country Meet - 2:00 pm, Clarks Crossing Park
- 9/28: Track Meet - 3:00 pm, MHS
- 10/5: Cross-Country Meet - 2:00 pm, CC
- 10/12: MAKEUP DATE (both locations are reserved, so we can hold either type of event based on our needs)
- 10/19: Track Meet - 3:00 pm, MHS
- 10/26: Cross-Country Meet - 2:00 pm, CC
- 11/2: Track Meet - 3:00 pm, MHS (TENTATIVE)
3. Due to the growing size of our roster and the availability of facilities this season for practices, we are going to try a new practice schedule splitting practices by age group. The expected practice schedule is as follows:
- Tuesdays (beginning 9/9), 5:00 - 6:00 pm at Churchill Elementary School: 5 to 7-year-olds
- Tuesdays (beginning 9/9), 6:00 - 7:00 pm at Churchill Elementary School: 8 to 10-year-olds
- Thursdays (beginning 9/11), 5:00 - 6:30 pm at Longfellow Middle School: 11 & up
There will be some flexibility with practices for those who are unable to make their scheduled time, but we'd like to keep kids as close to their age groups as possible. Please also remember that missing a practice does not preclude a child from participating in a Meet, so it isn't a deal-breaker if there are occasional conflicts with practice times.
Most questions (including all of the information above) about our program can be found on our website in the About Us/FAQs section, but we are always happy to answer any additional questions you may have. We will be monitoring this email account closely in the morning once registration opens, and we will troubleshoot during that process as quickly as we can, but please remember that MYTF is an ALL-VOLUNTEER organization, and that there are limits to how much can be done and how quickly. We will do our level best to ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to register, and will handle any issues that do arise on a first-come, first-serve basis.
We thank you in advance for registering, and we look forward to a great Fall season!
We try to keep our MYTF families apprised of other local running events that may be open for their participation. To that end, please see our "Other Meets/Clubs" link for more information about the following:
Potomac Valley Track Club presents the 39th annual Potomac Valley Games annual championship track & field meet at T.C. Williams High School, 3330 King Street, Alexandria VA, on Saturday-Sunday, August 30-31.
We were just informed today that the construction project at Langley High School has been delayed, so we are being moved back to Langley (our usual Meet space) for the Fall season after all. This is excellent news for lots of reasons, but it doesn't really change anything schedule-wise. Just remember that on Sunday, September 7th, all registered participants for the Fall 2014 season should report to LANGLEY stadium at 3:00 pm! (Updates to all registrants will go out by email ahead of that Meet, but we thought we'd give everyone the heads up here.)
You should now see a "Registration - NEW" link at the top of the lefthand menu on this page. Click on that to register one or more children for the Fall 2014 MYTF season. If you have any questions or trouble registering, please contact us at
. Happy registering!